How Can I Use Self-Reg to Help the Child I’m Concerned About? This six hour workshop, open to educators, parents and specialists, will help participants consider how they could begin to
How Can I Use Self-Reg to Help the Child I’m Concerned About?
This six hour workshop, open to educators, parents and specialists, will help participants consider how they could begin to map out some strategies using the tools of Shanker Self-Reg to help a child in their care. It will discuss what participants can do to address their own self-regulation in ways that will enhance their ability to work effectively with the child. Participants will also learn how to consider each of the five steps of Self-Reg in this process:
- Reframe the Behaviour
- Recognize the Stressors
- Reduce the Stress
- Reflect: Enhance stress-awareness
- Respond: Develop personal strategies to promote resilience and restoration
This interactive and engaging workshop, led by TMC’s Executive Director, Dr. Susan Hopkins, will start with an introduction to the key concepts of Self-Reg and then move into activities and discussions that will help participants reflect on key questions such as:
- Why is this child behaving in a way?
- Why haven’t the strategies I’ve been using thus far worked very well?
- Can I look at the child’s behaviour in a new way?
- What might be some of the hidden stressors that are affecting both the child and myself?
- How is this child’s behaviour affecting my stress levels?
- How does the child currently self-regulate and recover from stress?
- Which step of Shanker Self-Reg might be the best place to start with this child?
Open to everyone! Whether you are a parent, educator, or specialist, whether you are new to Self-Reg or already familiar with it, we’d love to see you there!
Each participant will receive a copy of Dr. Stuart Shanker’s book, Self-Reg, upon registration. Coffee, tea & lunch will be provided.
(Thursday) 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tosca Banquet Hall & Conference Centre
800 Champlain Avenue