Our Mission & Values
We are in the midst of a scientific paradigm-revolution in our understanding of the effects of excessive stress on behaviour, social-emotional development, intelligence, empathy, motivation, and character. The theoretical foundation of the Shanker Self-Reg® framework rests on these recent advances in neuroscience, physiology, psychology and clinical practice. The Shanker Method® explores, explains, and applies these new insights in a way that benefits every child, youth, adult and senior.
“There is no such thing as a bad kid”
– Stuart Shanker
Self-Reg provides us not just with the why, but also with next steps on “the how”. How to distinguish between maladaptive and growth-promoting modes of managing stress; between misbehaviour and stress-behaviour; between laziness and processes deep inside the brain that impede learning or effort. And what to do about it.
Through Self-Reg, we learn how to:
- reframe behaviour, our own as well as another’s;
- identify stressors – both overt and hidden;
- acquire strategies to reduce those stresses;
- become aware of what it feels like to be calm and what it feels like to be over-stressed; and finally,
- develop restorative practices that enhance our capacity, not to cope with but rather, to thrive on the various stresses that abound in modern life.
With Self-Reg we learn how to transform the dream of a Just Society into a reality, one mind at a time.
Calm, alert children, youth and adults flourishing in physically and emotionally nurturing environments.
To ground learning and living in self-regulation.
THIS child, THIS youth, THIS parent, THIS teacher, THIS practitioner, THIS classroom, THIS learning space, THIS school, THIS campus. THIS community.
Our Strategic Directions
The range of TMC individual and professional Shanker Self-Reg® learning offerings is broad, high quality, effective and allows for choice. Certifications, workshops and self-directed learning are available with a range of online and onsite options.
TMC is the knowledge hub for reliable, up-to-date and relevant Self-Reg information sharing across contexts. This information comes through print, video, graphics and social media.
TMC’s resources and services support leaders, teams and practitioners across contexts in their locally driven and locally-led Self-Reg work. Requests from the Self-Reg community guide our resources and service development.
TMC is a healthy, stable and resilient social enterprise working through its guiding values and mission towards our dream of flourishing children, youth and adults everywhere.
TMC embeds the competencies of an organizational learning culture in all relationships and work. TMC is responsive to the needs of the Self-Reg community and on a journey that is continually spiraling upwards.
Our Guiding Values
1. Shanker Self-Reg® is a universal platform (not a targeted intervention or a behaviour management program).
2. Shanker Self-Reg® is a process not a program.
3. ALL people are capable of self-regulation, no matter the age, stage or ability level.
4. Each individual, family, culture and community holds unique Self-Reg expertise.
5. There is no single set way to do Self-Reg.
6. There are no quick fixes, Self-Reg is a continual and reflective process.
7. Self-Reg is for everyone, it’s not just about children and youth.
8. The well-being of children is inseparable from the well-being of the critical adults in their lives.