Applied Self-Reg Knowledge Course
$745 CAD Full Course
Join Stuart Shanker and Susan Hopkins in this empowering online course designed to deepen understanding of bullying behaviours in schools and communities through the lens of science and applied Self-Reg knowledge.
Reframing Bullying with Applied Self-Reg Knowledge is a 12-module, 3-month course brings together cutting-edge science, real-life scenarios, personal anecdotes, and practical tools, all tailored to the unique challenges faced in schools and communities today.
Join us for our next cohort starting:
About the Program
Who is This Course for:
- Anyone interested in learning the latest science and exploring a Self-Reg lens to support safer schools and communities
Details about the Course:
- Facilitated cohort (with a group)
- 12-module course over 3 months
- Videos for each module – with Stuart Shanker and Susan Hopkins
- 3 hours a week to engage with the content and respond to discussion questions
- Asynchronous learning (you chose when) during the week to complete the module
- Head knowledge – the science with Stuart Shanker, heart knowledge – the reflective practice linked to our “whys” and values, and hands knowledge – the practical application tools, strategies, case examples
- Opportunities to apply the knowledge and resources from this course to your context and priorities
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Develop a profound understanding of the roots and dynamics of bullying behavior in children and youth.
- Understand the neurobiological underpinnings of aggression in youth, connecting it to bullying behaviours.
- Explore the Bullying Cycle deeply and develop targeted intervention strategies.
- Learn the transformative power of the CARE System–a primitive emotion circuit in the subcortical brain.
- Use the Self-Reg framework to plan for a refreshed approach to the longstanding problem of bullying in schools and communities. Consider, as part of a holistic lens on reducing bullying in schools;
– School Environments: Reflecting on the physical and social aspects that influence bullying dynamics.
– Mentoring and Teaching/Learning: Exploring how mentorship and educational approaches contribute to a positive school culture.
– Growth-Promoting Relationships: Emphasizing the importance of positive connections between adults and youth in the school community.
– Comprehensive Protocols: Unpacking discipline policies, home-school communications, and community partnerships.
– Equity and Inclusion Practices: Examining strategies for honouring diversity and fostering greater equity and inclusion within the school environment.
- Develop practical strategies to address complex bullying issues within the intricate fabric of schools and communities.
- Explore ways to enhance the effectiveness of other locally led and locally valued anti-bullying initiatives
Module 1. Lack of CARE Begets Bullying
- Understand how the primitive emotion CARE circuit contributes to the emergence of bullying behavior.
- Explore strategies for reshaping harmful behavior through self-regulation.
Module 2. The Yin-Yang of Self-Regulation
- Investigate the yin-yang dynamic of self-regulation and its impact on bullying behaviors.
- Confront the absence of empathy and its role in the dynamics of bullying.
Module 3. Roots of Aggression in Youth
- Examine the deep roots of aggression in youth and its direct link to bullying.
- Unpack the neurobiological framework, offering strategies for addressing aggression.
Module 4. Bullying Cycle in School Settings
- Delve into the dynamics of the Bullying Cycle within school settings.
- Understand internal conflicts and neurobiological aspects perpetuating the cycle.
Module 5. Neurobiology of the play and dominance primitive emotion circuits (PECs)
- Explore the scientific underpinnings of midbrain PECs in youth bullying dynamics.
- Understand the neurobiology behind the PLAY circuit and dominance-focused primitive emotion circuits in the context of bullying.
Module 6. The Missing Piece: Empathy in Youth
- Uncover the pivotal role of empathy and the CARE system in addressing youth bullying.
- Gain scientific insights into oxytocin and its role in reducing bullying tendencies.
Module 7. Not-So-Hidden Epidemic in Schools and Communities
- Discover the connections between youth bullying, narcissism, and antisocial personality disorder.
- Explore research on the rise of narcissism and its impact on empathy among youth.
Module 8. Reframing Bullying – No Such Thing as a Bad Kid
- Explore the intersections between a range of programs and practices and areas of focus in schools that may have links to bullying: trauma, safe schools, leadership, SEL and more.
- Applying the Self-Reg framework and new science from this course to areas that may include: learning environments; mentoring, teaching and learning; growth-promoting relationship building; protocol and policies; equity and inclusion practices.
Module 9. Roots of Empathy in Youth and Communities
- Dive into the intricate dimensions of empathy in the context of youth in schools and communities.
- Revisit Panksepp’s Discontinuity Theory and explore the scientific roots of empathy to link the science, the practice, and the hope of this work for positive change
Modules 10-12: Reframing Bullying – Applied Self-Reg Knowledge:
- Apply Self-Reg principles to address bullying behaviors in youth within schools and communities.
- Develop comprehensive plans, protocols, and practices informed by the Self-Reg framework.
- Consider the holistic approach involving discipline policies, mental health supports, belonging, and cohesion.
- Foster a culture of connection, safety, and positive youth development using Self-Reg principles and processes.
Still not sure?
Group Pricing: 10% off is always available for groups of 6 or more learners, simply use the discount code GROUPDISCOUNT at checkout or email firstname.lastname@example.org for invoicing.
Equity Pricing: We know that pricing can be a barrier, that’s why we offer a number of equity priced spots for those paying out of pocket with each cohort we offer. Learn more and join the waitlist here.
GST/HST Tax Exempt? Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com with your exemption number and we can invoice you