The Shanker Self-Reg® Framework for self-regulation: the five domains
- Self-regulation refers to the way an individual deals with stress, in all its many forms, and then recovers from the energy expended.
- An individual (child or adult) exposed to too much stress in the early years may develop a “kindled alarm system.” This may mean that even relatively minor stressors can send them into fight-or-flight or freeze.
- A child who is chronically hypo- or hyperaroused as a result of excessive stress more readily goes into fight-or- flight, or freezes.
- Self-Reg helps us consider self-regulation and stress across five interrelated domains: biological, emotion, cognitive, social and prosocial.
- Within these domains stress can be obvious or hidden.
- Shanker Self-Reg® is a powerful method for understanding stress and managing energy flow. Self-Reg is not a program, but rather a practical paradigm through which parents and teachers can better understand children’s stress, and enhance self-regulation via the five domains.
The Shanker Method® is a five-step method for enhancing self-regulation in children, youth, young adults, and adults. These are the steps:
1. Read the signs of stress and reframe the behaviour
2. Recognize the stressors
3. Reduce the stress
4. Reflect: enhance stress awareness
5. Restore energy
The 5 Domains of Shanker Self-Reg® are:
Continue the Self-Reg Learning:
Self-Reg Foundations Certificate Program
Self-Reg Framework 101 (individual access)
Next blog in the series: The Self-Reg Framework: Biological Domain
I am very excited about the five -step method. Looking forward to learning more about it.
Enjoyed reading the five five steps domain! Lots of good information. Observing the students with their different emotions daily is making it alot easier!
I am very excited to learn more about it .
I am looking forward to learning more!
Very interesting. Looking forward to learning more
Looking forward to learning more.
The first step of reframing the behaviour is already a game-changer for adult-child relationships, or any relationships actually!
looking forward to learn more about it.